Monday, October 12, 2009
‘Otherwise distinguished’ physicist say Large Hadron Collider on a suicide mission
This is pretty nuts. You know the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), right? Please do. It’s a pretty big deal. Mainly the LHC is designed to detect the theorized Higgs boson particle, which among other things could explain why gravity works. But get this, “a pair of otherwise distinguished physicists” suggests the Higgs “might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.” That’s pretty nuts. Read more at the New York Times.
- Coral reef ‘on the brink of collapse,’ could cost ...
- Discovery of 32 planets announced
- Appalachians may have triggered mass extinction
- Mystery disease wiping out African Crocs
- Jupiter moon may have ocean with enough oxygen to ...
- More drastic measures needed to save endangered sp...
- Alien snakes threaten endangered US wildlife, peop...
- Asteroid with water ice on the surface may be firs...
- Madagascar’s remarkable biodiversity threatened by...
- ‘Otherwise distinguished’ physicist say Large Hadr...
- Asteroids discovered with comet-like tails
- Vegetarian spider the first of its kind
- Controversial theory says third of dinosaurs never...
- CO2 targets inadequate to save coastlines
- Here's how much carbon 'green roofs' can scrub
- Loss of big predators causing ‘major economic and ...
- Oldest hominid fossil shows link between life in t...
- ▼ October (17)
- ► 2008 (385)
- ► 2007 (205)
- I started pound360 to channel my obsession with vitamins, running and the five senses. Eventually, I got bored focusing on all that stuff, so I came back from a one month hiatus in May of 2007 (one year after launching Pound360) and broadened my mumblings here to include all science.