Scientists have detected asteroids with comet-like tails, but they can’t explain why. (New Scientist) The asteroids were too far away for spectral analysis when discovered (back in 2006), but astronomers believe what they’re seeing are water-bearing asteroids. So what? Well, there are no confirmed asteroids with water ice, so that would be a first. Pretty cool.
Recent research supports the idea of icy asteroids.
- Coral reef ‘on the brink of collapse,’ could cost ...
- Discovery of 32 planets announced
- Appalachians may have triggered mass extinction
- Mystery disease wiping out African Crocs
- Jupiter moon may have ocean with enough oxygen to ...
- More drastic measures needed to save endangered sp...
- Alien snakes threaten endangered US wildlife, peop...
- Asteroid with water ice on the surface may be firs...
- Madagascar’s remarkable biodiversity threatened by...
- ‘Otherwise distinguished’ physicist say Large Hadr...
- Asteroids discovered with comet-like tails
- Vegetarian spider the first of its kind
- Controversial theory says third of dinosaurs never...
- CO2 targets inadequate to save coastlines
- Here's how much carbon 'green roofs' can scrub
- Loss of big predators causing ‘major economic and ...
- Oldest hominid fossil shows link between life in t...
- ▼ October (17)
- ► 2008 (385)
- ► 2007 (205)
- I started pound360 to channel my obsession with vitamins, running and the five senses. Eventually, I got bored focusing on all that stuff, so I came back from a one month hiatus in May of 2007 (one year after launching Pound360) and broadened my mumblings here to include all science.